Covid-19 in Nepal – Useful Links
Scroll to the bottom of this page to see the discussion in the UK House of Lords on 20th May 2021 about assistance to Nepal.
The following links are provided for general information: BRANNGO cannot vouch for the accuracy of the content.
If you have other links you would like to see posted here, please email email@example.com
- Worldometer provides an authoritative summary of current pandemic numbers for Nepal consolidated from a number of other sources: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/nepal/
- Nepal Government Health and Emergency Operations Centre portal: https://heoc.mohp.gov.np/. Contains situation reports on the pandemic in Nepal and other information about current policies for containing it.
- The US Embassy in Nepal maintains a concise summary of the current situation and the Nepal Government responses: https://np.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
- British Government advice about travelling to Nepal is at: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/nepal
- The UK Charity Commission have issued advice at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-for-the-charity-sector. They also have a telephone helpline (0300 066 9197 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm) for charities with an imminent deadline for annual returns and accounts filing.
- Specific information on UK Government funding of NGOs and charities is posted at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-for-the-charity-sector#government-financial-support-for-charities
- British Government (DFID) advice to suppliers is available in a download at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/873276/PCD-Supplier-Comms-COVID-18March2020.pdf.
- The Glacier Trust has set up a forum for reporting on the situation in Nepal here: http://theglaciertrust.org/project-news/2020/3/18/latest-updates-on-covid-19-from-our-partners-in-nepal
- Philanthropia are providing a free course on ‘Fundraising in the time of Coronavirus’: https://philantropia.teachable.com/p/fundraising-in-the-time-of-the-coronavirus
- Ian McClintock maintains a list of coronavirus funders at: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/coronavirus-charity-funding-announcements-ian-mclintock/ which also points to several organisations offering tools and advice to help with financial management during the crisis.
- The Charity Tax Group have issued guidance for charity tax and finance professionals at: http://www.charitytaxgroup.org.uk/news-post/2020/coronavirus-information-hub-charity-tax-finance-professionals/
- Numerous organisations have set up crowdfunding initiatives or indicated that funds will be made available to mitigate the effect of Covid-19 on NGO operations. In relation to Nepal, some are: the Glacier Trust COVID-19 emergency response Crowdfunder at: crowdfunder.co.uk/soapandhope; Childreach Nepal fundraising for Hope for Children: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/covid19nepal and Partners for Progress raising money to keep its operations going: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/partnersforprogress?utm_term=2XgXJvk6d. (Crowdfunder is making use of its services free to charities during the pandemic).
- The Gurkha Welfare Trust has useful updates on the situation in Nepal and is also seeking donations to support its ongoing operations there: https://www.gwt.org.uk/news/breaking-news-covid-19-and-the-gurkha-welfare-trust?fbclid=IwAR30gyKAnJXu1UbDCzeiSq0uWMX2kXdRdhegacHvJF8iNMr_A1D_VzPGeF4#CovidNepal
- ALNAP has a dedicated portal with links to numerous resources related to managing humanitarian organisations during the pandemic: https://covid19.alnap.org/
- The Nepal Doctors Association UK has published advice in Nepali on how to get treatment for Covid-19 in the UK: https://www.ndauk.org.uk/covid19
Discussion in the UK House of Lords about Assistance to Nepal, 20th May 2021
The question raised by Lord Lancaster was ‘to ask Her Majesty’s Government what assessment they have made of the request by the government of Nepal for two million doses of COVID-19 vaccine to tackle the spread of the disease in that country’.
Lord Lancaster is Deputy Colonel Commandant of the Brigade of Gurkhas in the British Army.
The responses to his and to questions from other Lords and Ladies in the video is Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon, Minister for South Asia and the Commonwealth at the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).